Ribbon Cuttings FAQ
- What is a Chamber ribbon cutting?
- Who qualifies for a ribbon cutting?
- What are the benefits of a ribbon cutting?
- Is there a cost to have a Chamber ribbon cutting?
- Is a ribbon cutting my business event or a Chamber event?
- What do I need to do to schedule a ribbon cutting?
- Other details to enhance your event...
A ribbon cutting is the ceremonial opening of a brand new or newly renovated/relocated business that has opened within the last six months. It can inaugurate an organization’s first day of business or it can take place weeks after the business’ soft opening. A ribbon cutting can also take place for a milestone anniversary.
The ribbon cutting marks a very significant moment in the business and is a great photo opportunity. The ceremony gives the business owner or manager a chance to say a few words about the business and publicly thank their financial backers, employees, their friends and family, and/or their business partners.
You must be a new or current Chamber member in good standing (including dues paid) for the Tullahoma Area Chamber of Commerce to participate in your ribbon cutting.
The Tullahoma Area Chamber of Commerce is available to assist with your ceremony if your business has:
- Opened its doors within the past six months
- Moved to a new location or changed business names
- Has been remodeled or has expanded its current location
- Is celebrating a milestone anniversary
By hosting a ribbon cutting, you can:
- Introduce both the public and Chamber members to your business
- Familiarize the public and Chamber members with your product/services
- Familiarize the public and Chamber members with your physical location
- Begin a customer base
- Generate leads and sales from attendees
- Publicity about your business in The Tullahoma News and other local media
Ribbon Cuttings are conducted for members only as a membership benefit.
The Chamber will assist you with your ceremony by including:
- Your ribbon cutting announcement on the Chamber’s Community Calendar and ribbon cutting page on the website
- Your ribbon cutting announcement in the Chamber's weekly newsletter Chamber Chat and Facebook page
- A marketing flyer designed by YOU to advertise your ribbon cutting
- Notify the Chamber Board of Directors, Ambassadors, and Local Officials encouraging their attendence.
- Invite local media to attend your ribbon cutting. The Chamber will send The Tullahoma News your ribbon cutting photo if news representative is absent. (It is YOUR responsibility to contact the news about information on your business/names of employees in photo.)
- Have a representative of the Chamber provide congratulatory remarks
- The Chamber will provide the "giant scissors", ribbon, and markers for everyone to sign the ribbon for your business to keep.
- Publish a photo of your ribbon cutting in the Chamber’s enews, Chamber Connect with a distribution list of over 500!
- Publish a photo of your ribbon cutting on the Chamber Facebook page and ribbon cutting page on the website
- Email you copies of your ribbon cutting photos for your use.
This is YOUR event. The Chamber will gladly assist you with the items mentioned above.
While the Chamber will extend the above mentioned invitations and list your ribbon cutting on our Community Calendar, we strongly encourage you to conduct your own PR campaign to increase the attendance and awareness of your business’s opening. You should also consider inviting your business partners, financiers, contractors, employees, customers, friends, and family to be with you to celebrate this momentous occasion in your business’s history. Please understand that you should not rely solely on the Chamber to attract your audience and the Chamber is not responsibile for the ceremony outcome.
Because your ribbon cutting is your event, there are no set rules. To make your event successful, carefully consider the following:
- Schedule your event using our Ribbon Cutting Reservation Form at least two weeks in advance. Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays are usually best days during the week for business people, not earlier than 8:30 a.m. and avoiding later evening times past 5:00 p.m. unless this is the type business you have. We recommend avoiding lunch hour times. We’re sorry; the Chamber cannot assist with ribbon cuttings on weekends and holidays.
- Email Tullahoma Chamber at email@example.com your ribbon cutting flyer or business logo for the flyer.
- Determine who will cut the ribbon. The owners or top executives most frequently do the honors, but each business is different and can pick whomever they like.
- Your remarks or short speech about your business and thanking everyone who attended. This is usually done when everyone has gathered after the ribbon has been cut.
- Invite everyone you know! Invite your family, friends, past, current and potential customers, business associates (including your accountant, banker, and property owner,) suppliers, your employees, the media, and neighboring businesses.
- Consider having giveaways, especially logo items that guests can take back to their offices. (optional)
- Food and beverage is not required, but it makes a nice touch. The Chamber is happy to provide you with members who can help you with catering.
- Prepare to give a quick tour of your business if you would like and be sure to have plenty of brochures available.
Schedule Your Ribbon Cutting in Advance. Please schedule your event at least two weeks in advance. This allows you and the Chamber plenty of time to advertise your event. The earlier you schedule your event, the more advertising you will have.
Refreshments and door prizes, and decorations are optional and up to you. Many businesses add these extra touches when conducting a public grand opening in conjunction with the ribbon cutting.
A special invitation. The Chamber can sell you a member mailing list if you would like to mail an optional special invitation to members. This is especially encouraged if you are conducting a grand opening with prizes, business specials, and refreshments.
Organize a separate PR campaign. If you would like to invite the general public, you should explore other advertising avenues and/or consider sending a press release to the local media.
Complete and return the Chamber’s Ribbon Cutting Reservation Form. Please email form to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note: Pre-registration with the Chamber for Ribbon Cuttings is required with two weeks advance notice. Events are scheduled based upon availability during business hours only (Monday – Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.)
For more information, contact the Chamber at (931) 455-5497.